How do I use the aspirator?
- Insert the silicone tip gently into one nostril at a time.
- Press the button and suction the mucus out for about 3 seconds.
- You may rotate the nose tip to suction excess mucus around the opening of the nostril. You will be able to hear the sound of the mucus being sucked out. Do not suction for more than 5 seconds at a time as the buzzing generated by the aspirator can ring in the infant’s head and can cause discomfort. Typically, infants who might be more sensitive to the ringing/buzzing sensations would range from newborns to about 12 months.
- This is a medical device, not a convenience product. Please observe your child when you use the aspirator on him/her. Sometimes children are not used to having things inserted into their noses for the first time. Be gentle. Praise the child for his/her good behavior when administering usage.
- Repeat until the sound of mucus suction stops. This means the nostril pathway is clear.
Which tip do I use?
There are three types of tips.
- NEWBORN [0–3months] is designed for very small nostrils. Be gentle and careful when inserting the tip. Also do not use too often on this age group. The nasal lining is delicate and should retain its natural moisture.
- LONG REACH/GENTLE Suction [3 months+]. The long tip reaches a little deeper in the nostril and is gentler in suction.
- Because the tip is smaller in diameter, it allows gaps between tip and the nostril for a less powerful suction. Good for sensitive noses. Do not insert it too deeply into baby’s nostril as it can damage the delicate nasal lining.
- POWER SUCTION [6 months+ ] The tip is bigger in diameter, filling up gaps in the open nostril.This creates a vacuum and increases the suction from the aspirator. If in doubt, please message us on Facebook, Instagram, or e-mail us with your question.
What is the best way to use the product?
Three points to note:
- Aspirate little by little, rotating the nose tip around the nostril area to pick up mucus in the nose. Do not insert the nose tip too hard into the nostril, thus damaging the mucus lining of the nostril. Observe your infant closely for any sign of pain or discomfort. Stop aspirating immediately if there is pain or signs of a nosebleed.
- Optimise the use of the the Lollababy Nasal Aspirator by using it after your child’s bath or right after a hot meal. These are times when the mucus is softened by heat and moisture.
Proper Usage of the Power Suction Nose Tip Only Insert the silicone tip into the nostril so there it fits snugly. The mucus cannot be aspirated properly if there is a small gap between the nostril and the silicone tip. The small gap of air prevents a proper vacuum which allows for stronger suction by the aspirator.
How long sold I place the nose tip of the aspirator in my baby’s nostril?
Apply suction for no more than 3 to 5 seconds in each nostril. Applying suction for more than 5 seconds may cause buzzing/vibrations in the baby’s ears. Monitor your baby’s face for signs of discomfort or pain and stop suctioning immediately.
Are there conditions where the aspirator should not be used?
Do not aspirate the mucus if there are wounds and inflammation in the mucus lining of the nose inside the nostril. Also, do not use the unit after a nosebleed.
How often can I use it?
We recommend use when your baby has a recurrent runny nose as too much nasal mucus may lead to middle ear infection caused by mucus running to the ear, sinusitis caused by inflammation, or production of sputum and cough caused by mucus running from the nasal passages down to the throat.
How do I clean the aspirator?
You can easily remove all parts from the main body to wash under the tap, or in hot water. Sterilize using a steam sterilizer only.
Dry the main unit and accessories thoroughly before storing.
DO NOT use a dishwasher for washing the parts. Do not sterilize in a UV sterilizer as the UV rays will deteriorate the plastic and silicone.